Wednesday, September 14, 2011

GF Blueberry Zucchini Bread

A few days ago, Anthony's mom showed up with a load of goodies from her garden, tomatoes, beans, zucchini, other stuff i'm forgetting, and a loaf of her homemade chocolate zucchini bread. Dosia, the brand new breastfeeding mother in our house has been eyeing it in disappointment, as she doesn't eat wheat and is avoiding chocolate to keep caffeine out of her milk. I had the day off today so I turned the rest of the garden zucchs into a loaf just for her.




It poofed up in the oven, which I thought was sooo funny! Who ever saw zucchini bread poof!? I credited that to the number of eggs I used, and that to the coconut flour. I had planned on using all coconut flour until I read the back of the box- apparently it absorbs moisture like crazy. They recommend using it at a 1/4 coconut to 3/4 other flour ratio. They also say to add four eggs for every cup used and add extra liquid to the recipe. So, needless to say, I knew at that point I couldn't put 3 cups of it in anything. I cut it with a general purpose gf baking and biscuit mix, bob's, and added oj for the liquid. I think it turned out great. Baked for a long time in loaf form but well worth it. No strange aftertastes and the crumb is a nice texture. Yum!

Gluten Free Blueberry Zucchini Bread

4 eggs
2 C white sugar
3/4 C oil
3 t vanilla
3 t cinnamon
3 C grated Zucchini
1 C coconut flour
2 C All purpose GF baking mix
1 t salt
1 C orange juice or more, to get it into a battery texture.
1 C or so blueberries

Beat together eggs and sugar, add oil and vanilla. Stir in Zucchini. Mix together dry ingredients and add them in. I added orange juice at this point to get it to a liquid state, you could very well add it with the other liquid ingredients and then add more at the end if needed. 
350, greased pans. My muffins took 30 minutes, loaf 90. 

No comments:

Post a Comment